Over 330 people attended the first-ever Awards Gala at the McLean Hilton in Tysons Corner, Virginia, on June 5, 2002, honoring the finalists and winners of the first annual HR Leadership Awards of Greater Washington:
HR Professional Excellence: Commercial/For-Profit
Winner: Catherine S. Leggett, Vertis, Inc.
Finalists: Dennis H. Liberson, Capital One
Pandit F. Wright, Discovery Communications, Inc.HR Professional Excellence: Government/Non-Profit
Winner: David L. Snyder, Department of the Army
Finalists: Maryanne Martin, Consumer Electronics Association
Imelda R. Roberts, Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments
Community Service/Corporate Social Responsibility
presented in honor of Sister Eymard Gallagher, RSHM, former president of Marymount University
Winner: Fred G. Kramer, Marriott International, Inc.
Finalists: Douglas M. Church, Jr., First Virginia Bank
Judy K. Lawrence, NAI Personnel
Ethics in Business
presented in honor of J.P. (Jack) London, president and CEO of CACI International Inc
Winner: Ann Denison, SRA International, Inc.
Finalists: Jeffrey S. Shuman, Northrop Grumman
Karen S. Usher, The Personnel Office, Inc.
The Judges for the 2002 HR Leadership Awards were:
- Steve BenowitzDirector of Human ResourcesNational Institute of Mental Health
- Barbara Byrd KeenanCounsel and Strategic AdvisorGreater Washington Society of Association Executives
- Stephen M. RabbExecutive Management Consultant (retired)SAIC Corp
- David RodriguezSenior Vice President-Staffing and Development
- Marriott InternationalTodd StottlemyerManaging DirectorMcGuire Woods Capitol Group